Saturday, January 28, 2012

Dordt College Basketball

I have been a fan of Dordt College (Sioux Center, Iowa) Basketball since I was a student there from 1981-1983. I think I attended EVERY home game while I was a student, and it was the place to be on game days! We had a great pep band and cheerleaders (guys & gals), and the tradition was to stand until Dordt made their first basket!

Over the last 8 years or so, I have been able to follow Dordt basketball online since they broadcast all their games on their radio station and on the internet! Home games are on webcast, which is great! Since I live about 50 miles from Dordt, I try to go to a few games a year when I can, and also attend the games that are here in Sioux City against the two colleges that are here. One of those colleges is my husband's alma mater, so that really makes it interesting!

This year I decided to wear my school spirit on my vehicle, so to speak, by getting a personalized license plate which is actually in school colors and with their logo and team name on it! How cool is that? I was able to get "BSKTFAN" which is really sweet!

This season the men's team has had what I think is their best record in school history! We even sat at #2 in the nation for a few weeks! We won the first 15 games, and then got bumped off by one of the local teams, which happens NOT to be a favorite of mine.

Today I drove to Dordt to watch the game in person, playing this same team. Let's just say the gym was PACKED to the rafters, they resurrected the pep band this year and who knows, maybe by next year they will have cheerleaders again! At any rate, our gals team easily beat their #2 in the country team by a score of 81-57! Then the band started playing, and the men began their game. Dordt led the whole game and we won 75-53! As I posted on Facebook, "the Band and fans are Rocking the Defender House!" It was awesome and I had a blast today! The men are now 21-3 and when they go to the National Tournament in Point Lookout, Missouri in March, I plan to be there!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment